Friday, June 17, 2011

Old McDonald is a Gangsta

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, f--- it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."
-New York State Senator Roy McDonald (R-Saratoga), on New York's pending same-sex marriage legislation and his vote for marriage equality

Governor Cuomo put forth a bill Tuesday to legalize same-sex marriage in the state of New York, which of course, prompted a Crusty Old Bigoted White Guy Poopypants Whinefest backlash under the guise of religion. (link is to another blogger's piece on the piece I'm referring to, because I don't feel like giving the asshat the direct traffic and the piece I linked to does contain a link to the original.) 
This bill gives same-sex couples the same legal rights as hetero couples, but it also provides some exemptions from anti-discrimination laws for "religious groups and affiliated organizations" to keep on being bigots (specifically, as far as I can gather, they do not have to perform, participate in, host, or otherwise endorse same-sex marriage, including clergy members). Which, by the way, is fine with this queer, at least for the time being. Our argument for separation of church and state has to work BOTH ways. I think bigotry within religion is something that needs to be addressed within said religion. Sure, I'm the first to speak up when Christians start saying the Bible says gay is wrong (educate yourselves!), but I also think my status as a perceived outsider limits my impact.

But I digress.

I had to share the above quote because I honestly welled up while reading it. Good for him for not being so swept up in the political bullshit to actually do his job. He's 64 years old (so I don't want to hear age as an excuse for bigotry ANYMORE, people), he's Republican, and he's a Total Fucking Badass.
So here's to you, Senator McDonald. You, sir, are an inspiration, a badass, and quite possibly my favorite person in politics at the moment. You deserve a slow clap and a homemade lasagna.*

*This is a Big Fucking Deal in my culture... pretty much means you're in for life. 

No comments: