Monday, June 4, 2012

On "Sister Wives"

(Yes, this is happening.)

Though I don't own a TV myself and I'm not an avid follower of the show, I have seen a few episodes of TLC's "Sister Wives." My mom loves the show. She's not an actual fan; she just watches it with the express purpose of talking shit. I'm not kidding. She does this with a few shows. She even records them. So when I'm visiting my parents, I end up watching all of these shows I would NEVER watch normally.

I'm visiting my parents, and last night she wanted to watch some show where they interview the family (or at least the adults- the husband and his four wives) and all five of them answer viewer questions. I was actually pretty fascinated.

As we were watching, my mom turned to me and asked, "What do you think about all this?" I told her the truth: I don't feel it's my place to pass judgement on anyone else. Who or how someone else loves is not my business, and really isn't up for judgement or my personal opinions. As a queer person, I know EXACTLY how it feels to be on the other side of that judgement. It SUCKS. Do I understand polygamy? Absolutely not. I CAN'T. I don't share their religious beliefs or background. So no, I don't understand it, I really don't think it would ever be something I would do, but it's not my business or my place to judge, and I accept that they are consenting adults who aren't harming anyone*. In short: Not my thing, but who cares? Leave them alone.

Although my mom sort of scoffed at my answer, I was really glad I told her the truth about how I feel when the family was asked what they would do if one of their kids came out to them. Despite their affiliation with a religion that is vehemently anti-gay, they all seemed to agree that they would love and accept their children, no matter what. Even if they were gay.

So take that.


* I understand that there is a (somewhat ironic) panic of "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?!" However, I've seen no conclusive studies on children raised in polygamous families. And ethnographies, legitimate or not, are not conclusive for the entire group. I will say that from what I have seen, the kids seem pretty happy and healthy and their family seems pretty "normal", aside from its size and plural wives.

No comments: